Sunday, February 7, 2010

You know those C & C cages people make for guinea pigs? Will the same idea work for rats?

I wasn't sure if the spacing between the wires on the cubes would be too big that they would excape? (Large rats) Are they good at squeezing through stuff? Do they make the wire cubes things with smaller spacing? If this won't work, what kind of wiring could I buy to make my own rat cage that would suffice?





Thanks!!!You know those C %26amp; C cages people make for guinea pigs? Will the same idea work for rats?
I haven't seen grids small enough. What I constantly find myself doing is making my own cages from old furniture or plastic bins.





For the furniture ones, I just replace a side or door with a lockable door mad of wire. Wire is very cheap in a hardware store, and you can look through garage sales and thrift shops for cheap furniture. Sometimes I install levels, but if that isn't your thing, you can always just attatch lots of hammocks for levels.





The other kind use a plastic bin (sold almost anywhere) for the base, and then putting together 4 walls and a ceiling of wire to just sit on top. I also use something to lock the wire in place to the bin. I don't like this one as much as it isn't too attractive, but VERY cheap.You know those C %26amp; C cages people make for guinea pigs? Will the same idea work for rats?
If you are talking about the cubes with 1';x1'; squares than it is too big. I tries to make one of these cages once and the rats could squeeze through. Rats can get through any space that they can get their head through.
It can and will work. If you cant find any grids with small enough holes, you can get some wire meshing to cover the holes. I suggest you join the forum on http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/ , people here have made C%26amp;C cages not only for their guinea pigs but also for rabbits, rats, chinchillas etc.
Personally, this is what I did..





http://www.dapper.com.au/grotto.htm





Mine was using a dresser left by the side of the road with drawers missing. just find what looks like a decent size hole.. they can collapse a bit..but, not quite as much as mice or hamsters..
Walmart sells the wire cubes with more of a mesh wire than the white cubed ones ( they sell the white cubed ones too ).


The grey mesh type would work for a rat ( tiny holes instead of large cubed spaces ) but if you are going to make a cage out of it, buy a package of zap straps ( $3 to $5 for a pack of 50 ) to hold the cubes tighter together so the rat can't escape between the cubes. I have a huge two story cage I built for my guinea pigs and it is awesome. For a package of cubes, it will cost about $20 and you should get some coroplast for the bottom so you can put shavings in it. Check out Cavy Cages on the internet for more ideas. Good Luck!
NO the rats will get stucke in the tunnles.
sorry but no unless you mak it with a top because they will climb it

No comments:

Post a Comment