Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Can I catch something from my pet rats?

I have my rats on a dresser next to my bed will I get sick?Can I catch something from my pet rats?
No, you cannot get sick from your rats. There are some diseases that can affect both rats and humans, but the chances of your rats having these are very slim if they are pets. If they were wild rats, though I doubt it, then the chance is higher.





If your rats are ill, you need to take them to the vet for some proper care. Though it may not affect you it would certainly be affecting them and their quality of life. Many ailments of rats can be cured with a simple course of antibiotics, usually not costing more than $50.





Good luck!Can I catch something from my pet rats?
There are some zoonotic diseases that are shared by humans and rats, but they are rarely transferred directly from rat to human. Usually they have another carrier, such as fleas who carried the bubonic plague. (Poor rats got a bad rap for that one).





I wouldn't worry about getting too close to your pet rats. Just make sure you wash your hands after handling them, their bedding, or their cage and you'll be fine.





:)
Not unless your rats are actually ill with something. A pet rat is not the same as a wild rat, although even wild rats don't have as many diseases as people think! There are diseases that both humans and rats can get, but you won't catch anything unless THEY have something.





Basically, I'd say you're fine.
Well if your rats have worms it can spread to humans. But if your rat is perfectly fine and has no signs of illness, you will be fine. Make sure you do wash your hands after you handled them.
I've never heard of a human getting sick because of their pet rat. Pet rats however can catch things like the common cold from people. So if you are sick try not to handle your rat more then you need to.
Only if they r sewer rats or they are always dirty (really dirty) or bring your rats to a vet and ask them to give them a check up to see if they have a disease hope it helps

No comments:

Post a Comment