Wednesday, February 10, 2010

How to befreind my new baby rats?

I have just bought my first pair of female rats. and I want to know how is the best way to get them comfortable with me.


I have put their cage in an area where I am alot and have been resting my hand in their cage so they can sniff it sometimes with goodies for them sometimes without. are there any other ideas?How to befreind my new baby rats?
You are already doing what I was going to suggest. :) Just keep up with the hand thing (heck, pop a movie in and watch it with your hand in the cage), and talk to them a lot. After they get comfortable on your hand, start lifting it and putting it back down in small increments until they don't care that their seat just turned into a flying carpet.


They'll learn pretty quickly. Congrats on your new babies!How to befreind my new baby rats?
i will be going through this myself shortly as i am hoping to adopt 3 rats from my local rescue.





i would definately suggest that you are doing the right thing already. i think i will also try adding an old t-shirt or something that i have worn to the cage so that the rats can have a good sniff and get used to my smell. some people carry their rats around in a bum bag or similar filled with bedding so that the rats again can get used to your smell and therefore build a bond. i think offering treats by hand is a good step - food is always good in building trust and friendship.
Take them shopping with you, to the Mall maybe!

No comments:

Post a Comment