Friday, February 12, 2010

What can I do with a barred wheel so my rats fet or tail don't get caught?

I don't want my rats tail or feet to get caught in the weel I heard that you can put tape around the edge but I'm not so sureWhat can I do with a barred wheel so my rats fet or tail don't get caught?
Superpetusa.com makes safe wheels for all animals. They do not have bars but are made of a kind of hard mesh instead. That is the only type wheel I sell in my pet store. They make a really nice size for rats too.What can I do with a barred wheel so my rats fet or tail don't get caught?
I would suggest getting a plastic wheel. I think ';silent spinners'; are the best.
My rats always prefered those clear balls that they can run around the house in!
I lined the inside with a short carpet
You can use contact paper for drawers, its the easiest because it is already sticky on one side but the big problem with those wheels are the sides where the wheels turn, the rats tend to wrap their tails around it when they run then when the wheel turns it breaks or sometimes cuts thier tails, You could use contact paper on that as well just be sure to do both sides so that there isnt any sticky sides. You could also just get rid of the wheel and add other toys here are some ideas on making your own. Or you could use bird toys or ferret toys.


http://www.dapper.com.au/toys.htm
perhaps you could line the inside with needlepoint mat? That way the holes are too small to fall through, and there's something to grip to turn the wheel. Just purchase the size you like in plastic and cut to size and attach within the wheel. You can find in a needle arts store or in a crafts store.
I had one of those big roll-around balls for my rats. They're much safer, and the rat can go all over the house in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment