Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Is It ok to have wire ramps and platforms instead of plastic in my rats cage ?

I am going to buy some new rats and im wondering if i can have wire ramps and platforms. I am not going to get a cage with a wire bottom because i know they can hurt their feet. but is it ok if the shelves are made of wire. I could get plastic shelves but their REALLY expensive at the store.Is It ok to have wire ramps and platforms instead of plastic in my rats cage ?
You can get wire shelves, but I'd recommend you cover them. Your rats can snag toes and potentially get bumblefoot from wire surfaces. You can do that rather simply and cheaply with linoleum tiles from your local hardware store. Just cut them to fit the shelf, and voila, instant floor. It also makes it easier to clean up messes. I did it for my cage and each sq ft of tile was about 20 cents.I probably spent a dollar something total.





You only need to cover the floors, not the ramps.





Another option is to cover the floors/shelves with fleece. It wicks away moisture, easy to clean (just throw it in the wash), and feels nice on the rats' feet.





Hope that helps!Is It ok to have wire ramps and platforms instead of plastic in my rats cage ?
Wire shelves would be the same as a wire floor to the cage and could lead to a foot or leg injury or bumblefoot. The pre-made plastic shelves may be expensive, but you can get the job done using coroplast - essentially corrugated cardboard made out of plastic. It is used in homemade cages. You can purchase it by the square foot at a sign store and cut it to size. You can also fold the sides up and make a tray that will keep them from kicking bedding out of the cage.
you can use the wire sheleves its good that you have a solid bottom .. none of my rats have ever gotten bumble foot...also you can cover the shelves with carboard old rag or towel or pieces of plastic .Make sure the cage is clean and that you wipe of the shelves and wire parts of the cage bacteria aides in getting the bumble foot.bumble foot is basically a pressure ulcer and when feces and bacteria get inside infection starts.A good thing about covering your own shelves is that when they chew the material or need to be replaced you can do that easy .. i have had rats chew my plastic shelves for fun lol
I would go with the wire ramps and floors, because they are easier to clean then the plastic. Wire ramps can cause injury if your has no access to a non-wire area. I would recommend getting a hammock or two and putting a few pieces of rug or carpet in the cage to give your rat other places to be off the wire!





tmcuriouscritters@yahoo.com
I wouldn't. It might be cheaper to get the ledges wire, but it will cost alot more in vet bills if your rat gets hurt. I would stay safe with plastic. Well anyway, good luck with your rats and have fun!





-Max
The wire is ok as long as you put stuff down for them like a towel on the shelf and put bedding up there too. I actually prefer wire because they can't chew it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment