Wednesday, February 10, 2010

All rat owners. Have you found that female or male rats are more aggressive?

I'm trying to decide whether to keep boys or girls from the litter.


All rat owners. Have you found that female or male rats are more aggressive?
Aggressive towards humans or other rats?





In general, neither sex is especially aggressive towards humans and those who are have been mistreated or under socialized. The main differences between males and females is that males tend to be more laid back, cuddly and lazy than the more active and playful females, males tend to grow to be much larger and can smell more - but if cleaned fully once a week with daily spot cleaning this shouldn't be a problem.





Male rats are more likely to be territorial or aggressive towards their cage mates than females but this is the exception and certainly not the rule - males seem to play fight more often and more violently and often mark things with small spots of urine while young. I personally prefer males as I like their playful but cuddly attitude and from my own personal experience, females seem more susceptible to tumors and not as overly friendly as males. This is not to say that females are unfriendly however, I love female rats too, its just that I've been nipped by more females than males - however the rats in question were shelter or abandoned rats so its not really a fair judgment.





Both sexes must be kept in pairs or small groups and make equally as good pets. I would spend some time with each of them to get to know them better and decide which sex you prefer. Rats are rarely aggressive though, so thats honestly the last thing for you to worry about.All rat owners. Have you found that female or male rats are more aggressive?
ive never found either to be aggressive. But i have fund that females are more ';jumpy'; where as males will usually form a better bond with you. the females are less likely to sit on your lap and be cuddley they like to run around more, the boys will do both though.


Boy rats can get a lot more smelly than girls and they will sent mark you also they produce some sort of grease on their back that can be a bit grose. both are as great as each other but i like grils more!
Aggressive towards who? People or other rats?





I personally prefer females because they're more active, playful and curious where as males, once they get older, pretty much become squish balls that just want to sleep.





Males though, when hitting puberty are more likely to fight with EACH OTHER...and the only solution sometimes is neutering. This rarely happens with females.





As for aggressive towards people...i think it more depends on individual rat and how he/she was raised/socialized. I don't believe one gender is more aggressive than another towards humans.


From having both males and females for many years though, I have noticed that males are not as gentle though.
I haven't found any aggressive rats. My cousin had a female rat and she was the sweetest thing. (The rat, not my cousin, though he has a heart of gold too. ^^;)





I've always had male rats. Like with all rodents, the males have a musky body odor than cannot be washed off or ';descented';. It can be overwhelming in mice but my male rats' scent wasn't overpowering or anything.





Just your preference really. Keep at least two (of the same gender). Rats are incredibly smart and social. My first two rats I had one after the other lived alone. Then I adopted two brother rescue rats. You wouldn't believe how much more animated and happy they were to have a playmate when I had things to do.





I've had many different kinds of pets and the rats were my favorite by far! ^^
I have had both females and males, and have preferred the the males. They seemed to be more social and playful. The females were better for holding and petting, but the males liked to play games and do ';tricks';. But I have never had either sex be aggressive, I think it is all in how they are raised. I think you will be fine with either!
All the rats ive ever had have been girls. Theyve always been friendly but towards old age they got abit grumpy! Everyone i've known that had male rats, said they didnt get aggresive towards old age. which is true, as i saw them on many occasions!





Keep the boys!!





Hope this helped





x
i've never had an aggressive rat, and u shouldn't have that problem as long as you treat them right and socialize them often. i've only seen rats be aggressive to each other, not to their humans.
The only rat I know to be pure evil is the mother of my litter!





Males tend to be more aggressive, but if handled very early on they usually are not. Neutering males can help too.
Neither are prone to aggression.





Males can be harder to introduce to other male rats, but even that is based on individual rats and not the entire gender.
keep a girl if you want to have them running everywhere but a boy if you wat something to sit on your lap while you stroake it. males are more aggressive
I remember having both and the female would always bite me where as the males didn't at all.
i have had both female and male rats and they were all very loving

No comments:

Post a Comment